The Masked Singer: Who is Unicorn? Clues and theories for the celebrity identity
31 January 2020, 11:14 | Updated: 23 December 2020, 11:10
The Masked Singer has taken America by storm, and it's now entertaining UK fans with its amazing twist on the TV talent show format.
Originally a South Korean show, The Masked Singer features celebrities singing in head-to-toe costumes and face masks, which hide their true identities from other contestants, the panelists, and even the audience.
Essentially, they all look like football mascots singing, but we have no idea who they are until they're eliminated.
As each episode passes, we'll look at the theories and clues behind each mask, including:
Who is Unicorn?
- Week 1: Kate Bush - Babooshka
- Week 2: Lizzo - Juice
- Week 3: ZZ Top - Sharp Dressed Man
- Had an American or Canadian accent
- Likes to stand out from the crowd and is a bit of a showpony
- Has travelled on a private plane
- Grew up on an island before heading to the bright lights
- Used the bery John Barrowman-esque phrase 'fabulous'.
- One of these is true: Pineapple is my favourite food/My girlfriend is very famous/Acting changed my life
Guesses from the judges and fans included Matthew Morrison, Kevin McHale, John Barrowman and Scissor Sisters star Jake Shears.
We'll be VERY surprised if it isn't John Barrowman!
On Dancing on Ice, hosts Philip Schofield and Holly Willoughby asked judge Barrowman if he could be the Unicorn.
However, he said he would not tell her even it was him behind the mask. When Holly asked to borrow the outfit, he replied: "You’d have to rip it out of my closet if i had it."
Who are the other contestants?
The full list of Masked Singers are:
- Butterfly (revealed as Patsy Palmer in episode 1)
- Pharaoh (revealed as Alan Johnson in episode 2)
- Chameleon (revealed as Justin Hawkins in episode 3)
- Tree (revealed as Terry Sheringham in episode 4)
- Daisy (revealed as Kelis in episode 5)
What is The Masked Singer?
12 celebrities compete on the show anonymously, all wearing costumes, over 10 episodes.
Each episode, some of the competitors are paired off into face-off competitions, where each will perform a song of their choice.
From each face-off, the panelists and live audience vote. The winner is safe for the week, while the loser is put up for elimination.
At the end of the episode, the losers of the face-offs are then put to the earlier votes of the panelists, to discover who will head home. The eliminated singer then takes off their mask to reveal their real identity.
Hints are also given to each masked singer's identity during the show. The panelists are given time to guess the identity of the singer after the performance, and ask them a single question.
Who will appear in the UK version and when does it start?
Former I'm a Celebrity star Joel Dommett will host the UK version, which launches on ITV on Saturday, January 4 at 7pm. The second episode airs on Sunday, January 5 at 8pm.
The four judges will be: Jonathan Ross, Rita Ora, Davina McCall, and Ken Jeong from the US version.