Premium rate phone and text
Help and frequently asked questions about premium rate text competitions on Smooth Radio.
If your messages aren’t sending, you haven’t received a confirmation message after texting us, you received your confirmation after the text lines closed, or you have another question about our Premium Rate text services, please read on…
What is Premium Rate?
Premium Rate services are those for which you are charged through your monthly phone bill or through credit on your mobile phone. These services tend to cost more than a normal phone call or text message.
How do I know if a number is Premium Rate?
Premium Rate services are accessed by sending a text from your mobile phone to a 5 digit number called a shortcode like Smooth’s on 65588. Not all services running on a shortcode are Premium Rate, for example if you text our studio this wouldn’t be Premium Rate. We will tell you if there is a charge associated with a specific service.
What kind of Premium Rate services do Global provide?
- Competitions or voting by text
- Charity competitions with a delayed donation
- Charity text donations
What does ‘standard network rate’ mean?
We know and will always tell you how much we’re charging you to text us. What we don’t know is how much your phone service provider is also charging you. That depends on the telephone company and what kind of deal you have with them. That’s why you’ll hear us say that you will be charged your ‘standard network rate’.
Every time you send a text, you pay your phone network a fee for doing so. These vary from network to network and may also vary depending on the number you’re sending a text to (some networks, for example, may charge less to text someone on the same network than they do for texting someone on a different network). This is known as a ‘standard network rate’ and is typically between 10p and 15p. The cost we tell you about is what you pay in addition to whatever charge your network applies. So, for example, if your competition entry costs £1.50 and your network also charges you 10p per text, then you’ll actually pay £1.60. This should appear on your bill as two separate texts, one that you’ve sent to us charged at 10p and another that you’ve received back from us charged at £1.50.
In the case of shortcode and premium rate services, texts sent at standard network rate are not usually included in any bundles you may have as part of your deal with your phone companies and will generally incur a charge, even if you have unlimited texts included in your contract. The charges we tell you about on air are inclusive of VAT, but on some bills, the VAT may be displayed separately.
There are too many networks and too many different pricing packages, changing too frequently for us to keep up with them and read them out on air, or even put them on our website. That’s why we say “standard network rate”, so that you know that your phone company may impose an additional cost on top of what we’ve told you you’ll pay for the text. If you want to know what the network charge will be for your phone, you should contact your phone service provider.
Why are my messages not sending?
If messages are not leaving your handset, then they haven’t reached us and won’t be included in the draw to win. This may be because you’ve exceeded a monthly spending cap on your phone bill, you might have a Premium Rate block applied to your phone number, or if you’re on pay-as-you-go, you might have insufficient funds. This isn’t something we’re able to affect, so you’ll need to contact your mobile phone network, and they will be able to advise you further
My text sent, but I did not receive a confirmation message back
There may be an issue with your network account, or some latency could have delayed your message in reaching us. Contact your mobile phone network in the first instance, and if they’re unable to resolve it then contact us using the details below.
I didn’t receive a confirmation message until after the text lines closed. Have I still been included in the draw?
Sometimes, when we experience a higher-than-normal volume of traffic, it can take longer than usual to process and send out our response messages, so if you receive a confirmation message after the lines closed, that entry was still included in the draw.
My phone bill says I’ve been charged for a subscription service. How can I unsubscribe / cancel?
None of our services are subscription-based, so you’ll only ever be charged when you enter our competitions. If your mobile phone network tells you that we’ve charged you on a subscription basis, then please double-check with them, as the charges are likely to have come from a different organisation. You can also use the number-checker at www.psauthority.org.uk/for-consumers/service-checker
Someone else used my phone to enter a competition – what can I do?
If you allow others to have access to your phone, including children, you are responsible for its usage, so the charges won’t be refundable. To prevent this happening in the future you can contact your phone network to request a Premium Rate block.
Do I have to write the text message in capital letters?
You can write the message in lower or upper case, or a mixture of both – it doesn’t make any difference.
How do you select your competition winners?
We use an automated computer system driven by an algorithm that selects winners from all the entries received at random. Entrants are randomly selected irrespective of any other factors such as whether they’ve entered before or for the first time, geographic location, gender or any other information beyond the mobile numbers from which the entries are sent.
Can I access Premium Rate Services from abroad?
Premium Rate services should not work if you are calling or texting from outside of the UK. Unfortunately, if you are on holiday or away on business, you may not be able to interact with our stations.
Our Premium Rate Promise
Our aim is to entertain you. We know – because you’ve told us – that you love the competitions we run, and you enjoy listening to and taking part in them. We want to keep it that way. That’s why we’re making these promises:
- Whenever you text us on a Premium Rate number, we’ll make sure you know how much you’ll be charged for it.
- When we’ve told you how much a text will cost, that’s what it will cost. There are always going to be some small variations in cost depending on who your phone network is and the deal you’ve got with them (we’ve explained more about that above), but you should still be able to look at your bill and identify the text.
- When we stop accepting entries to a Premium Rate service, we’ll tell you not to text any more. If you still try to text, you may get billed for it and there’s nothing we can do about that. You’ll need to listen closer next time!
- We will never sell your personal information to other companies. We may, from time to time send you text messages or email communications with offers or services that may be relevant to you if you have opted in to our Text Club, but these communications will always come from Smooth. You will never be charged for receiving these messages and can opt out of receiving them in future by replying with the word STOP.
- If you’re still not sure, you can find the full terms and conditions that are applicable to all of our competitions displayed on our website.
What if I have a query about your Premium Rate Services?
If you think there is a problem with our Premium Rate services or would like to make a complaint, please call our customer service team at:
Alternatively, you can call us on 0333 200 2000 during office hours. Calls to 03 numbers are charged at the same rate as calls to 01 and 02 numbers and count towards inclusive call allowances on landlines and on mobile phones. Global Media Group Services Limited do not make any profit from calls to this number.
Regulation of Premium Rate
Global Media Group Services Limited, the parent company of Smooth, is registered with the Premium Rate Services regulator, Phone-paid Services Authority. Our registration number is: ORG832-96388-41101.
Global Charities, a registered charity in England & Wales (1091657) & Scotland (SC041475) is registered with Phone-paid Services Authority under registration number: ORG831-51159-55647
We hope that we’ve explained how premium rate charges work and reassured you that the way we use them is fair and transparent. We also hope that you will continue to enjoy listening to and participating in our features and competitions. If you have any questions or concerns, we want to hear them. Please feel free to get in touch or for more information about phone-paid services and how to identify any unknown charges on your phone bill, visit www.phonecharges.org
For even more chances to win, sign up here for exclusive competitions, offers and a free entry into our monthly £500 draw.
SMS Marketing & £500 monthly draw T&Cs
SMS Marketing & £500 monthly draw on The Global Network, March 2021 to December 2022 – Specific Rules.
1. The SMS Marketing & £500 monthly draw promotion (‘Promotion’) is organised by Global (as defined in the General Terms and Conditions). The Promotion is open between Tuesday 30th March 2021 & Saturday 31st December 2022 on The Global Network. Global is the Promoter.
2. IMPORTANT: THIS PROMOTION IS ONLY OPEN TO RESIDENTS OF GREAT BRITAIN AND IS NOT OPEN TO RESIDENTS OF NORTHERN IRELAND. The Promotion is subject to these Specific Rules and the General Terms and Conditions which are available here. Entry into the Promotion constitutes acceptance of these Specific Rules and the General Terms and Conditions.
3. We reserve the right to end or extend the Promotion at any point.
Details of the Promotion:
4. To enter the Promotion, you must opt in to receive SMS marketing by either (i) texting the word JOIN to 65588 (standard network rates apply), (ii) submitting your mobile number using the online form, or (iii) opting in via our online competitions platform Win+
5. By providing your mobile number you are agreeing to receiving SMS marketing from Global, and any of its subsidiaries. We will only ever send you alerts and offers that are relevant and that we feel that you will benefit from and be interested in
6. At times, we will send our alerts with information around some of our pay-to-enter competitions. These are for your information only and there is no obligation to enter. We will always make clear the cost of entry for every competition.
7. We may, from time to time, send you text messages informing you about products, events, services and promotions that our third-party partners are offering. These messages will only ever come from Global or one of Global’s subsidiaries. We will never sell your personal information to third parties.
8. By opting in, you will be automatically entered into a draw each month to win £500 cash across the Global network, along with all other members of the text club, including those that opted in between 1st April 2018 and 29th March 2021. You do not need to do anything else after you’ve joined, and you will be automatically entered into the competition each month until you opt out of the service. The draw will take place within the first seven business days of each calendar month and we will contact the winner by phone within 28 days.
9. You will never be charged for receiving SMS marketing messages and can opt out of receiving them at any time by texting the word STOP to 65588. This will be charged at your standard network rate.
10. For the avoidance of doubt, by opting out of receiving SMS marketing, you will also be choosing to opt out of the £500 monthly draw.
11. If you win a prize, we may publish and publicise your name, image, social media handle and/or profile picture, your nearest geographical location (for example, your nearest city, town or county) and your entry, and we may refer to your association with the Promotion and/or the prize, in any and all media, worldwide, in perpetuity, for publicity and PR purposes solely in connection with the Promotion.
12. The Promotion is only open to residents of Great Britain (i.e. England, Scotland and Wales only) aged 18 and over. For the avoidance of doubt, the Promotion is not open to residents of Northern Ireland, the Isle of Man or the Channel Islands.
13. Global reserves the right to remove you from any SMS marketing as well as the £500 monthly draw if you have not interacted with Smooth’s shortcode text numbers for two years or more.
14. You must have a UK bank account, as the prize money will be paid by bank transfer
15. Each month, one winning entrant will receive £500, paid by Bank Transfer
16. We will endeavour to transfer the prize money to your bank account within 28 days but are not responsible for any delays. You must provide all necessary details via the method directed within 14 days after the original request to do so otherwise the prize will be forfeited in our discretion.
17. The prize is non-transferable and non-refundable.
18. We reserve the right to substitute the prize with another prize of equal or greater value at our absolute discretion.
19. We are registered with the Phone-paid Services Authority (“PSA”): registration number ORG832-96388-41101. For all enquiries in connection with the Promotion please contact our customer support team at https://global.com/contact/.
20. Your personal data will be collected and processed by us, our licensees (including Communicorp UK Limited and Quidem Limited), as well as the prize providers, and if applicable, our service providers, network operators and suppliers in order to administer and fulfil the Promotion. Your personal data may also be disclosed to the Phone-paid Services Authority, Ofcom and/or the Advertising Standards Authority at their reasonable request for regulatory purposes, for example, in order to prevent, investigate and detect crime, fraud or anti-social behaviour and comply with law enforcement agencies and applicable advertising codes.
21. We may hold your personal data for a period of 2 years in order to comply with our regulatory obligations.
24. You may request the removal of your personal details from our database by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org. If you request that your personal details be removed prior to the conclusion of a Promotion, you will forfeit your right to enter the Promotion and/or claim any prize and we reserve the right to select another entrant to participate in the Promotion or withdraw the prize and select another winner, as applicable.