On Air Now
The Smooth Drive Home with Angie Greaves 4pm - 7pm
28 November 2018, 11:18
53 years after the original Mary Poppins wowed audiences around the world with her magical songs (and umbrella), she's coming back!
Mary Poppins Returns will be a sequel to the classic Disney movie starring Julie Andrews, and that's quite an exciting prospect.
But who's starring in it? What's the story? Here's everything you need to know about the film so far...
The sequel will be out in time for Christmas, and will be released on December 21, 2018 in the UK. It will come out on December 19 in the US.
Yes! The first official trailer was released during the 2018 Oscars, and it shows the grown-up Banks children reunited with their formy nanny:
Before this, Disney released this little teaser showing actress Emily Blunt as the title character:
A new trailer featuring plenty more Emily Blunt as Mary, plus teasers for the music in the film and a glimpse of Meryl Streep and Dick Van Dyke was released on September 17:
A further teaser trailer gave us even more clips from the film, including a magical bathtub and the return of the cartoon critters from the first film:
Another teaser shown exclusively at Disney's D23 convention featured Jack the Lamplighter (Lin-Manuel Miranda) helping Michael's son fly a kite. and Dick Van Dyke dancing on a desk.
It also featured Michael (Ben Whishaw) and Jane (Emily Mortimer) reminiscing about their childhood. "Those things when we were younger, they didn't really happen?" Jane says. "No," Michael replied. "Ridiculous," Jane adds, with Mary floating behind them.
Emily Blunt will take on the role of Mary Poppins, having previously starred in the Disney musical Into the Woods.
Ben Whishaw (Skyfall, Paddington) and Emily Mortimer (Hugo) will play grown up versions of Michael and Jane Banks from the first movie.
Meryl Streep will feature as Mary's cousin Topsy, while Lin-Manuel Miranda (the man behind the musical Hamilton) will play a lamplighter called Jack.
Dick Van Dyke is also back! He'll be playing Mr Dawes Jr – the son of the grumpy bank director he played in the original film.
Dame Angela Lansbury has also joined the cast, along with Julie Walters, Colin Firth, David Warner and others. Pretty impressive!
The film will be set 25 years after the first movie in 1930s London. Jane and Michael Banks are now grown-up, and Michael still lives in the house on Cherry Tree Lane.
He lives there with his three children: Annabel, John, and Georgie, and the housekeeper named Ellen.
After Michael suffers a personal loss, Mary Poppins returns to the Banks family with her friend, street lamplighter Jack, and eccentric cousin Topsy.
The motion picture soundtrack features 27 tracks in total - nine of which are brand new songs - and will be released on December 7 via Walt Disney Records/UMC.
Songs are performed by Emily Blunt, Meryl Streep, Ben Whishaw, Angela Lansbury and Dick Van Dyke among others.
The all-new original songs were composed by Tony/Grammy winning composer Marc Shaiman (Hairspray, The Book of Mormon) and co-written by Scott Wittman.
Mary Poppins Returns soundtrack tracklisting:
1. “(Underneath the) Lovely London Sky” - Performed by Lin-Manuel Miranda
2. “Overture” - Performed by Marc Shaiman
3. “A Conversation” - Performed by Ben Whishaw
4. “Can You Imagine That?” - Performed by Emily Blunt with Pixie Davies, Joel Dawson and Nathanael Saleh
5. “The Royal Doulton Music Hall” - Performed by Emily Blunt, Lin-Manuel Miranda, Pixie Davies, Joel Dawson and Nathanael Saleh
6. “Introducing Mary Poppins” - Performed by Lin-Manuel Miranda and Emily Blunt
7. “A Cover Is Not the Book” - Performed by Emily Blunt and Lin-Manuel Miranda and Company
8. “The Place Where Lost Things Go” - Performed by Emily Blunt
9. “Turning Turtle” - Performed by Meryl Streep with Emily Blunt, Lin-Manuel Miranda, Pixie Davies, Joel Dawson and Nathanael Saleh
10. “Trip a Little Light Fantastic” - Performed by Lin-Manuel Miranda with Emily Blunt, Tarik Frimpong, Pixie Davies, Joel Dawson, Nathanael Saleh and Leeries
11. “The Place Where Lost Things Go (Reprise)” - Performed by Joel Dawson, Nathanael Saleh and Pixie Davies
12. “Trip a Little Light Fantastic (Reprise)” - Performed by Dick Van Dyke with Emily Blunt, Lin-Manuel Miranda, Ben Whishaw, Pixie Davies, Joel Dawson and Nathanael Saleh
13. “Nowhere to Go But Up” - Performed by Angela Lansbury, Ben Whishaw, Pixie Davies, Joel Dawson, Nathanael Saleh, Lin-Manuel Miranda, Emily Mortimer, Julie Walters and Company
14. “(Underneath the) Lovely London Sky (Reprise)” - Performed by Lin-Manuel Miranda
15. “Theme from Mary Poppins Returns” - Performed by Marc Shaiman
16. “Kite Takes Off” - Performed by Marc Shaiman
17. “Mary Poppins Arrives” - Performed by Marc Shaiman
18. “Magic Papers” - Performed by Marc Shaiman
19. “Banks in the Bank” - Performed by Marc Shaiman
20. “Into the Royal Doulton Bowl” - Performed by Marc Shaiman
21. “Rescuing Georgie” - Performed by Marc Shaiman
22. “Off to Topsy’s” - Performed by Marc Shaiman
23. “Chase Through the Bank” - Performed by Marc Shaiman
24.“Lost in a Fog” - Performed by Marc Shaiman
25. “Goodbye Old Friend” - Performed by Marc Shaiman
26. “Race to Big Ben” - Performed by Marc Shaiman
27. “End Title Suite” - Performed by Marc Shaiman
Listen to a couple of clips below:
Entertainment Weekly revealed several shots from the movie, giving us our first look at Emily Blunt's nanny.
She's (still) practically perfect in every way! Mary Poppins is coming back and we have your exclusive first look at the sequel starring #EmilyBlunt! Click the link in our bio to get behind-the-scenes details on #MaryPoppinsReturns and don't forget to pick up an issue on newsstands June 9. : Courtesy of @Disney