On Air Now
The Smooth Sanctuary at 7 with Gary Vincent 7pm - 10pm
2 December 2021, 11:36 | Updated: 16 November 2022, 15:20
Towards the end of each year in the lead up to Christmas, you may become aware of a rather ominous sounding game: Whamageddon.
In case you're not playing it and have no idea what it is, here's a little explainer.
- The rules of the game is simply to go as long as possible into December without hearing the classic song.
- The 'game' lasts from December 1 to midnight on Christmas Eve.
- Cover versions or remixes don't count, only the brilliant original.
- You're out as soon as you hear the song.
- Don't be mean and purposely send your friends the song without warning. It has to be 'natural'!
Obviously, we at Smooth LOVE 'Last Christmas', so we were knocked out a long time ago. And we're assuming if you're here, so were you.
There's even a whole website dedicated to Whamageddon. The brains behind the game have also partened up with Great Ormond Street Hospital to help children and families at Christmas.
They are encouraging everyone to use the hashtag #Whamageddon once they're 'out' of the game, and to then donate to the charity here.
Thomas Mertz, Founder of #Whamageddon said: “I started playing Whamageddon with my friends 15 years ago via a group text in Denmark and as the years have gone by, it has turned into a global seasonal sensation on social media.
"This year it’s wonderful to see the game being used for good and we hope as people hear Wham’s classic, it will encourage them to donate and spread a little festive cheer on Twitter.”
If you ask us, we think it's a silly game. Why deprive yourself of one of the best Christmas songs ever, eh?