On Air Now
Smooth Breakfast with Gary King 6am - 10am
23 April 2019, 17:19 | Updated: 23 April 2019, 18:43
Former Eggheads star CJ de Mooi has said that he doesn't have long left to live after suffering from AIDS for thirty years and facing homelessness after financial hardship.
The 49-year-old quiz star was axed from Eggheads after it was alleged he assaulted a man, However, since the claims were found to be false, CJ has struggled to find work.
The star took to Twitter on Sunday (April 21) to update followers on his progress: "I’ve been living with Aids for 30 years but the agony of the last 3 years means I may not have many left.
"I’m outwardly healthy, still running and am staying positive I can get better. Thank you all for your love and if I can do anything to help any of you, please just ask. CJ."
I’ve been living with AIDS for 30 years but the agony of the last 3 years means I may not have many left. I’m outwardly healthy, still running and am staying positive I can get better.— CJ de Mooi (@cjdemooi) April 21, 2019
Thank you all for your love and if I can do anything to help any of you, please just ask. CJ 💚
A Go Fund Me page has been started to help CJ with his finances with all proceeds going to his solicitors to pay a £15,000 bill.
CJ's troubles started when he spoke candidly of an incident in Amsterdam in 1988 in his autobiography.
He was forced to defend himself from a knife-wielding man who tried to attack him and CJ retaliated when he half-punched, half-pushed’ his attacker into a canal and walked away.
The allegations of murder were investigated and dropped, however CJ was left with a huge financial bill and no work coming in.
The Go Fund Me page is to help CJ - who lives in Monmouthshire with his husband Andrew Doran - pay off some of his legal bills that were racked up to fight his extradition to the Netherlands.
But despite his plight, CJ took to Twitter to ask fans to give their money to the victims of the Sri Lanka attacks instead of his fund on Monday (April 22) saying they "need it more."
A friend of CJ's called Lisa Lewis-Martin, who set up the fund, wrote on the page: "As many of you are aware, CJ needs money desperately.
"After false accusations were made about him, he lost his job, livelihood and reputation. He has said, done and written nothing wrong, broken no law and committed no offence.
"However, he is bankrupt, extremely ill and in imminent danger of losing his house.
A message from CJ.— CJ de Mooi (@cjdemooi) April 22, 2019
“Thank you all for the support but if you were donating to my page today, please give to the victims of the Sri Lanka attacks instead. They need it more. Love CJ.”
Sri Lanka Red Cross https://t.co/5DEscyw4Kc
CJ’s page https://t.co/EoTTOsuEx5
Thanks, Joe ♥️
"He posts daily uplifting videos to inspire others but is now suffering. Let's help him as he always helps others," he added.
"Please note, all money raised goes to CJ's solicitor, not to him directly.
"CJ needs a minimum of £15,000 (although £76,000 is being demanded from him!) so please, this needs to be shared by all social media and email to everyone you know."
So far £5,027 has been raised by 142 people for the TV star, with the page shared 242 times on social media.