5 intriguing facts about Roy Orbison
23 April 2015, 11:12 | Updated: 19 January 2018, 11:00
'The Big O' was known for his dark glasses, black hair and powerful voice. But did you know THIS about the 'Pretty Woman' singer?
1. People, even now, think Roy Orbison was blind.
He wasn't! He began wearing his trademark dark glasses in 1963, just before a British tour with The Beatles.
Speaking years later about his dark glasses and clothes, Orbison said: "I wasn't trying to be weird, you know? I didn't have a manager who told me to dress or how to present myself or anything. But the image developed of a man of mystery and a quiet man in black somewhat of a recluse, although I never was, really."
2. Roy Orbison didn't actually have black hair
He dyed it to fit in with his 'dark' image.
If you're interested, his hair was actually dark brown. True story.
3. Elvis Presley and The Beatles both opened shows for Orbison early in their careers.
4. Orbison was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1987.
5. Orbison was a member of The Traveling Wilburys. Other members included Jeff Lynne, Tom Petty and Bob Dylan.