Does Austin Butler really sing and play guitar in Elvis? His Elvis Presley vocals explained
11 May 2022, 15:15
Excitement for Baz Luhrmann's new biopic of 'The King of Rock 'n' Roll' is reaching fever pitch.
Given its an official biopic, the iconic songs of Elvis are going to play a huge part in the film's success, with director Luhrmann calling the story a "great canvas to explore America.”
- Watch 25-year-old Elvis Presley sing duet with Frank Sinatra in incredible footage from 1960
- Elvis Presley's 15 greatest songs ever, ranked
- When Dolly Parton did an exquisite impression of Elvis Presley as a woman
The big question we all want to know however is: is that Austin Butler singing as Elvis?
It's been confirmed by both Butler and Luhrmann in a recent interview with the Hollywood Reporter that, yes, it's Austin Butler singing throughout.
30-year Butler described the enormous hours of work he put in to replicate Elvis's legendary vocals.
"When I began the process, I set out to get my voice to be identical. That instils fear. So that got the fire burning,” Butler said.
“For a year before we started shooting, I was doing voice coaching.”
Austin has also been playing the piano and guitar since he was 13, having taught himself to play the instruments, just like Elvis!
Director Baz Luhrmann did point out that it's entirely Butler singing as young Elvis, but when he ages they blended Butler's vocals with Elvis's original vocal recordings.
“I watched as much as I could, over and over,” Butler continues, going into detail about the hours of study he put into imitating The King's voice.
- Elvis Presley movie: 'Elvis' musical biopic cast, plot, release date and more revealed
- Elvis Presley facts: The King's parents, wife, daughter, films and death explained
- Elvis Presley returns to life in magnificent first full trailer for 'Elvis' biopic starring Tom Hanks
Elvis explores Presley's life in three sections: Elvis as a child, as a young man breaking into fame, and the twilight days before his premature death at the age of 42 in 1977.
Due for a solely theatrical release, Elvis is set for cinemas on 24th June 2022.