On Air Now
Smooth Breakfast with Jenni Falconer 6am - 10am
19 August 2019, 17:25 | Updated: 19 August 2019, 17:30
Sir Elton John has hit out at recent reports of Prince Harry and Meghan Markle's private stay at his home in Nice.
The singer posted a statement on his social media accounts, following newspaper reports that the Duke and Duchess of Sussex had visited four times via private jets in 11 days.
Elton said: "I am deeply distressed by today's distorted and malicious account in the press surrounding the Duke and Duchess of Sussex's private stay at my home in Nice last week.
"Prince Harry's Mother, Diana Princess Of Wales was one of my dearest friends. I feel a profound sense of obligation to protect Harry and his family from the unnecessary press intrusion that contributed to Diana's untimely death.
"After a hectic year continuing their hard work and dedication to charity, David and I wanted the young family to have a private holiday inside the safety and tranquility of our home. To maintain a high level of much-needed protection, we provided them with a private jet flight.
I am deeply distressed by today’s distorted and malicious account in the press surrounding the Duke and Duchess of...Posted by Elton John on Monday, 19 August 2019
"To support Prince Harry's commitment to the environment, we ensured their flight was carbon neutral, by making the appropriate contribution to Carbon Footprint.
"I highly respect and applaud both Harry and Meghan's commitment to charity and I'm calling on the press to cease these relentless and untrue assassinations on their character that are spuriously crafted on an almost daily basis."
Harry and Meghan have been accused of hypocrisy for using private jets, despite recently campaigning over the dangers of climate change.
The royal couple and their three-month-old son, Archie, were photographed over the weekend boarding a jet on the French Riviera after a short trip to Nice.
They were reported to have visited Sir Elton’s £15 million mansion Castel Mont-Alban, where the singer currently stays with husband David Furnish, and their sons Zachary, eight, and Elijah, six.
Prince Harry recently told Vogue about his fears of the “terrifying” effects of climate change, and revealed that he and Meghan plan to have a maximum of two children due to their environmental concerns.
The couple also arrived back in London last week, after a six-day trip to Ibiza using private jets to celebrate Meghan's 38th birthday.