Austin Butler plays Elvis Presley's guitar and performs iconic song at Graceland in "overwhelming" moment
16 June 2022, 10:58 | Updated: 16 June 2022, 11:36
Austin Butler, who stars as Elvis Presley in The King's new biopic 'Elvis', joined the singer's family at the weekend to channel the star at his beloved home, Graceland.
- Does Austin Butler really sing and play guitar in Elvis? His Elvis Presley vocals explained
- Lisa Marie Presley hails new Elvis movie as "nothing short of spectacular"
- When and where was Elvis Presley's final concert performance before he died?
In one clip posted on the official Elvis Instagram, Austin can be seen playing 'Can't Help Falling in Love' on the guitar:
"It was such a special and overwhelming experience I haven't quite processed," the actress posted on her Instagram page about the visit to Graceland.
"One of many sweet things that happened while we were there - Austin played my grandfather's guitar in the house. This guitar hasn't been played by many people.
- Elvis Presley movie: 'Elvis' musical biopic cast, plot, release date and more revealed
- Who was Elvis Presley's mother Gladys? The heartbreaking story behind her life and death
- Inside Elvis Presley's gorgeously mischievous but short-lived time with daughter Lisa Marie
"I know it was tuned by @paulmccartney once, but as far as people sitting down and playing it @austinbutler is one of very few people aside from my grandfather."
Elvis stars Austin Butler and Tom Hanks, as his infamous manager Colonel Tom Parker. The film follows the life and career of Elvis from his early years as a child in Mississippi, to his rise as a rock icon and movie star.
Austin Butler opened up about playing Elvis in the biopic and the deep affection he's garnered for the star.
In an interview with GQ, the actor revealed: "His mother passed away when he was 23, and my mum passed away when I was 23. So when I learned that, it was one of those things where I got chills, and I just thought, 'Okay, I can connect to that,'" he said, later adding, "I've never loved somebody I've never met more than Elvis."
- When Elvis Presley joined Celine Dion on stage for a mind-blowing duet 30 years after his death (Yes, really)
- How living with Elvis Presley inspired Whitney Houston’s classic ‘I Have Nothing’
- QUIZ: How well do you know Elvis Presley's song lyrics?
Three generations of Elvis Presley's family reunited over the weekend at the premier of the new biopic Elvis, including Elvis's ex-wife Priscilla Presley, his daughter Lisa Marie Presley and her children, Riley Keough and twin daughters Harper Vivienne Ann Lockwood, and Finley Aaron Love Lockwood, 13.
Riley, a successful actor, said at the screening: "It was a very emotional experience. It's very intense to watch when it's your family.
"I started crying five minutes in and didn't stop. There's a lot of family trauma and generational trauma that started around then for our family."
"I felt honored they worked so hard to really get his essence, to feel his essence. Austin captured that so beautifully."