Celine Dion stuns with surprise short pixie haircut in throwback video
20 October 2023, 15:05
The Canadian singer has posted a video from 2003 to her official Instagram page.
Listen to this article
The 54-year-old singer announced she had Stiff Person Syndrome, an illness which leaves people as "human statues", locking the body into rigid positions.
- Celine Dion's health battle: Star's illness is ‘impossible to control' says family in latest update
- What is Stiff Person Syndrome? Celine Dion's incurable illness explained
- Celine Dion: How Adele starts every concert with tribute to her 'idol' as Canadian star battles health issues
- Celine Dion's sister gives emotional update on star's health: 'We can't find any medicine that works'
The disease is so rare that 'one in one million people' in the world suffer from the condition, and her diagnosis has meant she hasn't shown up on social media since the announcement.
However, the singer's team has been sharing throwback videos on her Instagram page in recent months, the most recent being a beautiful clip of Celine singing from 2003.
The video documents the creative journey behind her 2003 French album 1 fille & 4 types (translated as "1 girl & 4 guys"), a collaborative effort with acclaimed writers and producers Jean-Jacques Goldman, Gildas Arzel, Eric Benzi, and Jacques Veneruso.
These were the same talented individuals she had previously joined forces with on her earlier, immensely successful French records.
- Celine Dion and Pavarotti duet: When the world's two greatest singers stunned an audience of millions
- The electrifying moment unknown Celine Dion won Eurovision by just one point in 1988
- When Elvis Presley joined Celine Dion on stage for a mind-blowing duet 30 years after his death (Yes, really)
- Celine Dion's 10 best ever songs, ranked
Celine Dion can be seen rocking a short pixie cut – a world away from her usual long hair – in a nod to her more rock 'n' roll look of the early 2000s.
The album cover, as well as the video shared, depicted the current 55-year-old Canadian songstress during her collaboration with the quartet inside a laundromat.
She sported a casual look in a t-shirt and jeans while flaunting and stylish short hair.
The accompanying caption for the video, posted in celebration of the album's 20th anniversary, read: "In 2003, Celine reconnected with 3 songwriters and 1 artistic director: Jacques Veneruso, Erick Benzi, Gildas Arzel and JJ Goldman.
"The result is 1 fille & 4 types. It was released on October 13, 2003. 20 years ago! Rediscover this album, link in bio - Team Celine."
Taking to the comments, her nostalgic fans were thrilled with the throwback video.
- Celine Dion sings and brings interviewer to tears in last sit down before Stiff Person Syndrome symptoms
- Celine Dion facts: Singer's age, net worth, boyfriend and children revealed
- Celine Dion: Star releases unseen private photos on 55th birthday as she battles Stiff Person Syndrome
- Watch Bee Gees and Celine Dion record 'Immortality' in fascinating behind-the-scenes studio footage
"I love her for her talent, her voice, her and for looking like my mother," one wrote.
"You were and are always the best in all the languages you sing now," another said, with a third fan sharing their own experience with Stiff Person Syndrome.
"Keep fighting the cruel beast that is SPS @celinedion," they wrote.
"We are doing all we can to raise awareness so a cure may one day be found. We have the diagnosis in our family too and life is very challenging," adding: "Sending love, light and hope."
The video comes just weeks after Celine's family gave an update on her ailing health, saying her illness is 'impossible to control'.
In an interview with Hello!, Claudette, Dion's sister, shared insights into the family's hopes and struggles concerning Celine's debilitating condition.
- This video of Celine Dion singing in 9 different languages is absolutely incredible
- Celine Dion's impression of Cher's 'Believe' is uncannily brilliant
- When Celine Dion broke down on stage singing 'All By Myself' weeks after losing her husband
- Whitney Houston and Celine Dion's duet of ‘Greatest Love Of All’ recorded 25 years apart is spectacular
"We are keeping our fingers crossed in the quest to find a remedy for Celine's distressing ailment. The spasms are uncontrollable," Claudette revealed.
"You know how people often abruptly wake up due to a leg or calf cramp? It's somewhat akin to that, but it affects all her muscles. There's little we can do to ease her suffering."
"She's putting in every effort to regain her health," the star's sister continued. "She's a resilient woman."
Celine Dion announces diagnosis with incurable neurological disorder
There is no cure for SPS, but there are treatments that slow down the progression, but the singer is said that she is doing all she can to reduce symptoms.
"Celine is in an enormous amount of pain,” a source told Radar in June. “She has the best medical team money can buy, but things aren’t looking good.
"Her disease is incurable. And as hard she’s worked at it with doctors and therapists, she simply isn’t getting better."
"To be honest, she can barely move."
The sources added that Celine Dion sold her home to be closer to her family as she battles her illness.