Elton John facts: Singer's age, husband, children, parents, net worth and real name revealed
23 June 2023, 14:50
Listen to this article
Sir Elton John is a real icon of popular music, and is one of the most successful artists of all time.
- ‘Candle In The Wind’: A timeline of Elton John and Princess Diana’s precious friendship
- Why did Elton John and David Bowie suddenly stop being friends?
- Forgotten loves of George Michael, Freddie Mercury and Elton John: The secret women they loved
- The night Elton John became a rock star: Singer recalls mind-blowing Troubadour gig 50 years on
How old is Elton John and where is he from?
Elton John opens up about 'wasting' his life on years of drug use
Elton John was born Reginald Kenneth Dwight, on March 25, 1947. He celebrated his 76th birthday in 2023.
- Elton John's 20 greatest songs, ranked
- The real story behind Elton John's stage name
- Elton John announces family loss as he's inundated by support from fans
Elton and was raised in a council house in Pinner by his maternal grandparents.
When he was 14, his parents divorced. His father married again, and had further children.
His mother married a local painter, Fred Farebrother, who was a caring and supportive stepfather whom Elton affectionately called 'Derf'.
Elton later chose his stage name in homage to two members of his early band Bluesology: saxophonist Elton Dean and singer Long John Baldry.
He legally changed his name to Elton Hercules John in 1972.
Who is Elton John's husband and how many children does he have?
Elton John officially came out as bisexual in a 1976 interview with Rolling Stone, and in 1992 he told the magazine that he was "quite comfortable about being gay".
In 1993, Elton began a relationship with filmmaker David Furnish, a former advertising executive from Toronto.
- Watch the exact moment Elton John wrote 'Tiny Dancer' on the piano in 1970
- Elton John at Glastonbury: Four special guests confirmed - but who could they be?
- Relive Tina Turner, Elton John and Cher's breathtaking live performance of 'Proud Mary' - video
On December 21, 2005 (the day the Civil Partnership Act began), Elton and David were one of the first couples to have a civil partnership in the UK, held at the Windsor Guildhall.
When gay marriage became legal in the UK in 2014, Elton and David married in Windsor.
They have two sons: Zachary Jackson Levon Furnish-John (born via surrogacy in December 2010) and Elijah Joseph Daniel Furnish-John (born in January 2013 via the same surrogate).
Was Elton John married before?
Back in the late 1960s, Elton was engaged to his first lover, secretary Linda Woodrow, who is referenced in the song 'Someone Saved My Life Tonight'.
However, Elton ended the relationship two weeks before their intended wedding, after being advised to do so by Bernie Taupin.
- Elton John's forgotten ex-fiancée speaks out about cancelled wedding: "I thought he loved me"
- The Story of... 'Goodbye Yellow Brick Road' by Elton John
- Elton John recalls Freddie Mercury’s kindness and generosity, even as he faced death
Elton then married German recording engineer Renate Blauel in February 1984. Blauel later said she attempted suicide during their honeymoon in St-Tropez after Elton told her that he wanted to end their relationship.
Their marriage ended with a divorce in 1988. Elton later said: "She was the classiest woman I’ve ever met, but it wasn’t meant to be. I was living a lie."
In 2020, Blauel sued Elton for writing about their relationship in his 2019 book Me.
What is Elton John's net worth?
Elton John has an estimated net worth of around $500 million (£370m).
Sir Elton John gives a shoutout to Kate Garraway and Derek Draper during his concert